In 1824, surveyor John D. Taylor received a land grant from Stephen F. Austin for a league centered on a “pine point” rich in water and timber resources at the southernmost turn of Buffalo Bayou. Taylor named his homestead Piney Point. In the 1880s, Piney Point became a station on the Texas Western Railroad and evolved into a settlement made up largely of German farmers.

It took another half century before land acquisition for what was to become Memorial Drive would induce Houstonians to journey west and build weekend homes in the area. By the 1950s, Houston was booming and Memorial Drive was turning into a major thoroughfare. Annexation by the city became such a strong possibility that, in 1954, Piney Point home owners incorporated the village to retain their independence. They chose a mayor/alderman type of municipal government in 1955 and by 1966 had established a public school and four churches.

Piney Point encompasses approximately 2.5 square miles of forested land and is exclusively residential, restricting businesses of any kind. The village permits only single-family residences on lot sizes of at least 40,000 square feet, a “village acre,” although some smaller lots are grandfathered.

Most of Piney Point Village is served by the Spring Branch Independent School District. In addition to their own elected city officials, residents enjoy the security of zoning ordinances and their own tax rate and city services. Police services are provided by the Memorial Villages Police Department, and fire and ambulance services are provided by the Village Fire Department.

Property Picks